Request for Proposal (RFP)
Electric Vehicle Supply Chain Identification Study
August 29, 2023
Cornerstone Alliance, a Michigan-based 501(c)3 organization, in coordination with Economic Development organizations representing Michigan’s Region 8 (Southwest Michigan), including Market Van Buren and Battle Creek Unlimited, have initiated a Request for Proposal (RFP) process to identify a vendor qualified to plan, execute and deliver a study of the business opportunities (both retooling opportunities and attraction opportunities) for the region specific to the Electric Vehicle Supply Chain for the seven (7) counties in Michigan’s Region 8.
The Partnership requires a vendor who has demonstrated experience and understanding of: economic development, electric vehicle manufacturing, manufacturing, supply chain and logistics, or other relevant fields.
About the Partnership
Cornerstone Alliance, Battle Creek Unlimited and Market Van Buren are economic development organizations representing Michigan’s Region 8, and serve the Counties of Berrien, Van Buren, Cass, and Calhoun.
This partnership has financial support from the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC), with the intent to create higher-wage, higher-skill jobs for Region 8 residents. This study aligns with MEDC’s strategic focus areas, and will strengthen Region 8’s competitiveness by ensuring sustained, long-term growth in advanced manufacturing, electric vehicle production and clean energy manufacturing.
This partnership will utilize and disseminate the study to other EDO’s throughout the region, in an effort to attract new companies, new investment and jobs, as well as better prepare Southwest Michigan for the rapidly-changing EV industry.
Scope of Work REQUIRED ELEMENTS
The study should include, but not be limited to the following:
- Prepare a SWOT-type analysis of the current EV supply chain within Region 8 based upon the many recent announcements within a 100-mile radius of Region 8. The analysis will also include identification of gaps in the Region 8 supply chain.
- Create an inventory of Region 8 companies already supplying the Electric Vehicle industry.
- Create an inventory of Region 8 companies at risk of internal combustion engine (ICE)-to-EV conversion.
- Survey and analyze the needs of companies in Region 8 already in the Electric Vehicle industry to identify ways the municipalities and Region 8 leaders can support these businesses.
The selected firm must also deliver a 2-page (front-and-back) marketing piece. The piece:
- Will highlight the existing strengths and capacity within Region 8 for EV companies.
- Should be created so that it can be branded by individual EDOs and communities within Region 8, as well as used as Regional attraction collateral.
- Can be edited up to three (3) times before delivery to the partnership. Additional revisions will be done at the cost of the partnership.
- All source files, and collateral developed as a part of the project, will be packaged and delivered upon completion of the project.
- Will be considered intellectual property, and owned by the partnership.
Evidence of the firm’s qualifications to provide the above services:
- Experience in economic development, electric vehicle manufacturing, supply chain and logistics, or other related industries.
- References and contact information from at least two comparable economic development clients, including the names and key contact people at those firms.
- Additional consideration will be given to firms with a stated Diversity, Equality and Inclusion initiative or pledge.
The Study and Marketing piece should be completed no later than eight (8) weeks following an executed agreement.
All proposals should be received by September 29, 2023, at 5 p.m. (EDT).
As part of your proposal, please address the following:
- Sample Project Plan
- Project Budget (not to exceed $65,000).
- Team Roster Including Relevant Experience and Credentials
A committee of leaders from Market Van Buren, Battle Creek Unlimited, Cornerstone Alliance, and MEDC will review all proposals, with a decision to be made no later than October 4, 2023.